Protect Your Small Business from Online Threats
by Akandu Ukoha
No matter the size of your business, it is still susceptible to cyber attacks. It is important to pay attention to this being that 43 percent of cyber attacks target small businesses. You must protect your small business from online threats and attacks. So these are some possible cyber attack methods and how you can protect your business.
Macro Malware is a fairly common type of malware and is usually embedded within files and documents. It is activated once you open the file or attachment.
- Only download attachments from emails that you trust.
- Disable all macros in Microsoft applications.
- Check email for misspelled words, irregularities and discrepancies.
ONLINE BANKING MALWARE
This is malicious software that steals banking credentials and credit card information. It is usually hidden behind free software that you download off the internet.
- Book-mark trusted and frequently visited websites.
- As a precaution, type your bank’s website address.
- Enable other authentication measures whenever possible such as 2FA.
This malicious software is an infectious file downloaded from a compromised site. As a result, the author will then lock your device and demand a ransom payment to allow you regain access. The average cost of this attack is $133,000 when you include downtime, recovery and lost opportunities.
- Avoid opening unknown emails or embedded links.
- Don’t respond to urgent request emails that ask for personal information.
- Make sure you are regularly patching your software vulnerabilities.
Marcy Consulting offer cyber security services for small businesses. We provide you with expert guidance and resources to protect your business from online threats and cyber attacks. For more information, you can schedule a call with one of our available analysts.
February 12, 2019
June 11, 2018
April 17, 2018